God has wonderful promises for us as we travel on through life and into later years.The best news is that,inside we need never grow old because He has actually promised to renew our youth day by day.

Isaiah 40:31



Monday, 26 October 2015

New Boots and Autumn Leaves


Have finally consigned my old and much loved walking boots to the bin, they were letting in water and not really practical for the wintry weather. So thought that I would share this morning's walk with you as I tried out my new boots.....

I love this time of year, all those fallen leaves to shuffle in. You are never too old to kick up the leaves.......unless you come across some one who has just spent a good hour sweeping them up into a neat pile; no matter how tempting that is!



For some reason  I like to walk  a route round  in a circle rather than  there and back.  So I set off from home on pavements  at the side of a very busy main road, then turn left at a junction of three main roads before turning left in to the nature reserve which follows the River Freshney, 


It never ceases to amaze me that  even though I live in the bustling suburbs of a busy town within a ten to fifteen minute walk I can be tramping along footpaths in woods, fields or this nature reserve.

There is a lake in the centre of the reserve, the reeds have become overgrown and  visibility is now limited. Soon they will have died down and all that will be above water will be the prehistoric trees...


One of this years Cygnets, not quite in full white plumage, still patches of grey. Not many ducks about today either. Wonder where they are all hiding?


Can you spot the Coot?


No idea what all these fluffy seed heads are from. 
The wind was carrying bits of the fluff away with it.


The sun had been shining when I started out on my walk, but now have been walking for about  thirty five minutes, not sure of the time as I rarely wear a watch, but a walk of three and a bit miles takes me about an hour. Anyway, turned my head to be confronted by this looming grey rain cloud.


If you look closely you can see the Cormorants perched on the tall tree to the right. They always over winter here on the lake. Last year we spotted eight of them.


See what I mean about the trees?  In the middle of winter when the vegetation has died down and there is a slight covering of snow they look like something out of an alien landscape.
Can you spot the Cormorants again? 
The two birds in the foreground are Seagulls, the Cormorants are at the back.


As I take the last bit of the footpath down towards the bridge over the river and back into suburbia, the sun comes out again....


........ and here we are, back to the traffic and housing estates. 
Another five minutes and I am home again. 

I opened the front door to be greeted by the smell of Vegetable Soup simmering  in the Slow Cooker.

Do hope you enjoyed taking a walk with me.










No comments:

Post a Comment