God has wonderful promises for us as we travel on through life and into later years.The best news is that,inside we need never grow old because He has actually promised to renew our youth day by day.

Isaiah 40:31



Wednesday, 16 March 2016

'Harold Fry'


I came across this book in a Charity Shop recently. It had cropped up on a recommended reading list in a Christian Women's magazine and my daughter had also recommended reading it even though she did warn me that it wouldn't be an easy read.  She was right

Oh my goodness......this is one very special book.

This Guardian article from 2012 when the book was 'long listed' for the Booker Prize called it:

" a Bunyanesque allegory inspired by loss"

When Harold Fry nips out one morning to post a letter, leaving his wife hoovering upstairs, he has no idea that he is about to walk from one end of the country to the other. He has no hiking boots or map, let alone a compass, waterproof or mobile phone. All he knows is that he must keep walking. To save someone else’s life....this then is the beginning of Harold's journey.

It is not an easy book to read and the stark revelation at the end is heart breaking.

It is a book that you can't put down, I found myself sitting up long into the night just to see where the next part of this painful journey took him. Literally and figuratively.

It is a book that I cried my way through. 


Following Harold on this unlikely pilgrimage made me think;to revisit the past as Harold does; times of hope and transformation . ...

Eventually, in the last few pages there is a happy ending.

Go and read it,

No comments:

Post a Comment