God has wonderful promises for us as we travel on through life and into later years.The best news is that,inside we need never grow old because He has actually promised to renew our youth day by day.

Isaiah 40:31



Saturday, 21 May 2016

Beware wonky paving stones.....



After dinner yesterday I put on my walking boots and set out for a gentle ramble.......I got as far as round the corner when I tripped over an out of line paving stone; of which there are many in this town.......

Slammed on to my knees with my hands out to protect myself as I fell heavily on to my left side. Next thing I knew was that I was on my back looking up at a blue sky and the anxious face of a passer by.

This very kind passer by hauled me up, put me in his car and drove me back round the corner and to the safety of my little home.

I got as far as the first step of the stair and knew that damage had been done to my left knee...so I called my daughter  who happens to live just round the corner...
...after hastily explaining that, no, I wasn't having a heart attack she zoomed round with son in law, took one look at me and called an ambulance.

They arrived forty five minutes later and off we went to Accident and Emergency.

They were actually far better than expected  and the Doctor and nurse who  sorted me out couldn't have been nicer.

Now the dragon lady who x-rayed me was not very pleasant at all, but as I had been doped up with hefty doses of "Unicorn Dust" before being x-rayed I was not too bothered!


This is the outcome...left patella is cracked and my ligaments torn. The wrist is not fractured as first thought just badly twisted with the fall and tendons pulled.


This is what my leg looks like now....in a steel banded rigid splint for  four or five weeks, then  about three to six months to actually heal fully, possibly longer due to my age apparently!


We were in the hospital for five and a half hours on a Friday evening which is not bad going.


Wrist too has a splint on it. Apparently the 'old fashioned' Plaster casts are not routinely used now, only if the break/injury is unstable and needs firmer support.

I am not to move for seventy two hours, then very limited mobility after that for several weeks...so that means my birthday meal out is cancelled...

though husband said "Why not have a take away instead"

Unfortunately I have been warned that due to my age and osteoporosis the outcome of me gaining full mobility again is questionable, so will make sure that I do all the exercises the physiotherapist tells me to do, but do think that my days of tramping the hills for miles on my own are rather at an end.



PS:....only sock knitters will understand why I was not too pleased when it was suggested that the nurse cut my socks off to access my feet and legs. I gritted my teeth and persuaded my husband to peal them off undamaged!

No comments:

Post a Comment