God has wonderful promises for us as we travel on through life and into later years.The best news is that,inside we need never grow old because He has actually promised to renew our youth day by day.

Isaiah 40:31



Thursday, 15 June 2017

The Price of Salvation


I have , what my husband calls "an annoying habit"....I talk to people I don't know!

If I am in a queue, or at the bus stop , or sitting next to someone on the bus, I have this tendency to start a conversation.

This has resulted in some interesting discussion, both light and frivolous and deep and meaningful.

One such "deep and meaningful" conversation happened at the bus stop on Monday. 
Had just missed my bus so had thirteen minutes to wait. Was soon joined by someone I vaguely knew to speak to as they live round the corner from us.

They knew I went to the Baptist Church and that we believe in the need to be 'born again' which I was asked about .

Then out of the blue, this was dropped into the conversation....
" Why does the gospel offend so many people?"

That made me think.

As usually happened I thought of a better answer when I got home and had time to sit and think!

Why does the gospel appear to be so distasteful, so offensive? It is mostly off putting to people who feel they have everything, materially, socially, career wise. People who believe that they are entitled to all they 'have' .

The gospel sounds like a tragedy: die to yourself and you'll live.

Salvation sounds like bad news: we are saved not because we are brave, clean and reverent; but because we are dead and our life is hid with Christ in God.

Salvation has nothing to do with turning 'bad men' into 'good men' but 'dead men' into living men.

You can see why the good news of salvation is offensive to those who think they 'have it all'...it doesn't  apply to them does it?

The good news of the gospel only applies to those who recognise that they are 'losers', be it rich folk, poor folk and all those in between.

Each must consider himself a loser if he wants a seat at the King's banquet:-

Luke 14:16-24    New International Version (NIV)
16 Jesus replied: “A certain man was preparing a great banquet and invited many guests. 17 At the time of the banquet he sent his servant to tell those who had been invited, ‘Come, for everything is now ready.’
18 “But they all alike began to make excuses. The first said, ‘I have just bought a field, and I must go and see it. Please excuse me.’
19 “Another said, ‘I have just bought five yoke of oxen, and I’m on my way to try them out. Please excuse me.’
20 “Still another said, ‘I just got married, so I can’t come.’
21 “The servant came back and reported this to his master. Then the owner of the house became angry and ordered his servant, ‘Go out quickly into the streets and alleys of the town and bring in the poor, the crippled, the blind and the lame.’
22 “‘Sir,’ the servant said, ‘what you ordered has been done, but there is still room.’
23 “Then the master told his servant, ‘Go out to the roads and country lanes and compel them to come in, so that my house will be full. 24 I tell you, not one of those who were invited will get a taste of my banquet.’”


The price of salvation is high, and yes, we should sit down and count the cost. But when the counting is done there is that absolute certainty that everything we have as a born again believer is exactly the right price for a seat at the banquet.

All you have to be is a certified loser and God will send His servant Jesus to positively drag you into His House.

Be like the yellow duckling I came across recently, who looks nothing like his siblings, no idea why.........and stand out from the crowd. 



No comments:

Post a Comment