1 oz/30gr Butter (or tablespoon oil)
8 oz/250gr mixed chopped nuts - these can be cashews, peanuts, walnuts, almonds, etc (a variety makes the flavour more interesting)
4 oz/120gr fresh Wholemeal Breadcrumbs
½ pint Vegetable Stock
2 teaspoons (10ml) Yeast extract (Marmite)
Handful of herbs chopped (I use fresh basil, oregano and parsley)
1 medium egg, lightly-beaten
2. Grind the nuts in a liquidiser/food processor; blend them in with the breadcrumbs.
3. Heat the stock and yeast extract in medium saucepan, then add the herbs to this, and then mix in with the nut and breadcrumb mixture.
4. Allow to cool a little then taste for seasoning. You may not need much salt, this will depend on the saltiness of your stock but pepper adds interest. If you wish to make the cutlets more manageable now is the time to mix in the egg.
5. Form the mixture into 6 burger-shaped patties, and then lightly coat these in the 2nd batch of breadcrumbs.
6. Chill the cutlets in the fridge for a while (a minimum of 30 minutes) to firm up.
7.To cook: Gently fry the cutlets for 3 minutes on each side, or until they're golden.......or bake in the oven, which is what I do because we don't eat fried food